This page is and always will be a work-in-progress. If there’s something missing that you think should be included, please contact me.
Recommended Books & Reading Lists
Essays & Investigative Journalism
Research & Studies
- Study: NYC Health Workers’ Ethics Are Compromised in Jails. New York Times / NYC Department of Correction, 4/2015.
- Medical Problems of State and Federal Prisoners and Jail Inmates, 2011-12. Federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2/15.
- Where Have All the (White and Hispanic) Inmates Gone? Comparing the Racial Composition of Private and Public Adult Correctional Facilities. Oregon State University, 12/26/14.
- The Dangerous Overuse of Solitary Confinement in the United States. ACLU, 8/2014.
- “Racial Disparities in Incarceration Increase Acceptance of Punitive Policies.” Psychological Science, 8/5/2014.
- “Locked Up & Shipped Away: Interstate Prisoner Transfers and the Private Prison Industry.” Grassroots Leadership, 11/2013.
- “Report of The Sentencing Project to the United Nations Human Rights Committee Regarding Racial Disparities in the United States Criminal Justice System.” SentencingProject.org, 8/2013.
- “Warehoused & Forgotten: Immigrants Trapped in Our Shadow Private Prison Industry.” ACLU, 6/9/2013.
- “Gaming the System: How the Political Strategies of Private Prison Companies Promote Ineffective Incarceration Policies.” Justice Policy Institute, 6/22/2011.